Sunday, December 14, 2008

from David Merrill to Jerry Katz of Park School

Jerry Katz

Headmaster

Park School

Dear Jerry Katz,

I want to thank you for your robust response to George Peabody’s raising of the issue of Mr. Davis’s sexual abuse of Park School Students in the ‘60s. I thought your immediate respect for what he had to say and your immediate move to action is to your credit. I was most touched.

I was a classmate of George’s and also a victim of Davis. I largely share George’s current approach to the matter and am happy to have my name associated with his when the school deals with this topic. I can still remember specific instances involving Davis’s sexual advances both on the School premises, at this home and elsewhere. They all took place during my sixth grade year when he was my class room teacher However this is not the time to go into them. The point is that I am also a source of evidence of what Davis got up to.

I do want to say though that my overall feelings for Park are positive in fact better than for the school I attended afterwards, B&N. There were a number of features that made your school an attractive place when I attended it which had to do with the time, its smallness and a certain degree of experimentalism.

My message is though that I wanted to say that I was very impressed with how you reacted to George’s approaches. Also I should say I salute George for taking up this matter and keeping at it. Perhaps his efforts along with yours as well as the new sensibility reigning today about such matters will stop a repetition of such behaviour as Davis’s in the future.

Best wishes,

David Merrill

No comments: