Saturday, December 27, 2008

Get the word out

I've heard from another classmate from the 7th grade and appreciate her words of support. It is terrific to hear from friends from so long ago. In my mind's eye, I see the kids we were and at the same time know that 40+ years have flowed under the bridge, taking us to parenthood, perhaps grand-parenthood.

So, here we are telling a 40+ year old story. Why go back so far?

This is really the last step in my healing and recovery. While it's had a huge impact on my life, I have been fortunate enough to avoid hugely self destructive inclinations, have had great support and, best of all, dwell in a great marriage and have two remarkable daughters. But walking away, healed, without finding the others doesn't feel right. It would forever be a huge loose end. Hence this effort.

Please circulate this link around. Push it to people who might know something of RND's employment history and travels. If you suspect someone was a victim, let them know about this page. Have them get in touch with me.

Let's see if we can find more of the others, perhaps get them some help and let RND understand that, even after decades of time, we are not the only ones to pay a price.


3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear George:

I’m impressed with your commitment to helping other people abused by Neville Davis. Surviving abuse is hard enough – to want to help other people means you are a true mensch.

From your blog, I can see how effective you were when you spoke with the Park School. It clearly allowed them to see the wisdom of working with you.

I hope your site will help people realize that surviving sexual abuse is like surviving cancer. I think a generation ago, people were ashamed to admit that they had it but now, with better understanding of what it is, people are able to talk about it, call on support from their friends and share their experiences about what helped them survive.

Likewise, I think that sexual abuse will be detected and treated more quickly because of people like you who are willing to address it. And secondly, because of people like you, more people will survive it.

I’m proud to have my name associated with yours.

All my best,

Daniel Weinreb

phoebe said...

Dear George,

I remain heartsick for you, John and David, and, as I'm sure you are right, the many others. Needless to say, memories of our 7th grade together came flooding back. Blessed or cursed, I have an excellent long term memory, and that entire 7th grade year is as vivid for me today as if it were yesterday. Now that I know what I know from your extraordinarily courageous and selfless act, all the pieces fall into place.

I left Park after our 7th grade year in '66, but I saw Neville off and on until the summer of '73. At that time he was living in Dedham, and as far as I know had remained in MA, but I cannot be 100% sure. In the fall of '73, I moved to Chicago and never saw or heard from Neville again.

It is very hard for me to write this to you, but in the spirit of honesty and true understanding, Neville was never anything but kind toward me. He had plenty of opportunity, but it never happened. I think we all know why.

We shared a love of photography and that is what kept us in touch.

I have thought of almost nothing else since receiving Jerry Katz's letter. I am deeply, deeply sorry. I have been racking my brain for specifics that might help the police and you. I will continue to do that, and i will help in any way I can.

All my best,

Phoebe Dean Perry

Anonymous said...

George, I wish I could shed light on Davis whereabouts and it is my profound hope he left Massachusetts in time to stop the statute of limitations clock so he can be prosecuted.

Beyond that, you have my highest admiration not only for your humanitarian efforts toward finding and helping to heal other victims but also for what I can plainly see is a determined effort to ensure justice.

I know you and your family as good friends. I'm proud to know you.